Pasta and Garlic...who needs more?

I have recently moved to Rovigo, Italy and I am embracing not only basic Italian cooking, but house restoration and self-sufficiency. I have a long way to go on the latter two but the former I am quite comfortable with.

Stefano and I have moved into the house he part-inherited from his grandparents. To say it is run-down would be putting it mildly - it has had very little done to it for the last 20 years. A potentially beautiful old farmhouse with attached barn it is a restorer's dream: it's my dream too, I'm just not much of a restorer. Anyway, this blog is about food, so we'll skip the tales fof restoration woe and move onto the joy of food.

Stefano is Italian. Stefano loves pasta. These two points do not necessarily constitute two-thirds of a logical argument, but they do constitute the reason why pasta is now high on the menu. 

I have been making tomato-based pasta sauces for the last two days, but not being a tomato fan (yes, you can see a problem looming on the horizon), I fancied something different. Luckily, Stefano has said he "would kill for spaghetti aglio olio" which involves oil, garlic, parsley and spaghetti. Being a garlic lover this dish affords me the opportunity to indulge in that very flavoursome, but not always very sociable, herb. Simple to cook with only 4 ingredients, but satisfying and filling, this is a quick supper recipe that anyone can whip up.


WARNING: 
Do not eat in the two days before either a blind date, job interview or important meeting as stale garlic can offend!

Not for those with vampiric tendencies.


Spaghetti Aglio Olio

I may have mentioned this before but I am not one for following recipes. I glance at them, then do my own thing to a certain degree. So, whilst I am providing a recipe for you, you may notice that my pictures may not be strictly in accordance.

I can assure you that the recipe works very well!

Serves 3-4


Spaghetti Aglio Olio ingredients

Ingredients
500g dried spaghetti
3 garlic cloves, minced
100ml olive oil
a handful of chopped fresh parsley










Cooking Spaghetti Aglio Olio


Method

  1. Put the spaghetti in a pan of boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions and your own personal taste. (We like al dente).
  2. Bring the oil to a gentle heat in a frying pan.
  3. Add the garlic and cook slowly until the garlic starts to turn golden. 
  4. Remove from the heat. Once the oil has cooled slightly add the parsley.
  5. Transfer the oil to the serving bowl.
  6. Drain the cooked pasta and add to the serving bowl. Mix the pasta into the oil.


Serve.




copyright: Deborah Cater

Comments

Popular Posts